Motorized AIARE Level 1
Motorized AIARE 1 is a 24 hour introduction to avalanche hazard management specifically designed for snowmobilers and snow bikers. This course addresses more than rescue and awareness; it is for those who intentionally want to travel in or through avalanche terrain and want to learn how to work with a group to manage their avalanche risk. Throughout a Motorized AIARE 1 course, AIARE Instructors identify and focus on unique elements of motorized backcountry travel, focusing on snowmobilers’ unique use of terrain, speed of travel, and group communication. With a 70/30 field/virtual split, this course emphasizes riding time and covers topics such as avalanche rescue techniques and equipment; preparation, planning, and execution of a backcountry ride based on avalanche conditions; how to track the season's snowpack and interpret an avalanche bulletin; avalanche terrain identification, hazard mitigation and safe travel techniques; weather, snowpack, and stability analysis. This is the essential course for any backcountry snowmobiler and there are no prerequisites. All participants receive an AIARE 1 certification after completion.
For Winter 2020/21, this course will consist of (2) 2 hour virtual classroom sessions and (2) field days, along with a self directed online portion.
Full details will be sent before course start.
Pre-Registration Required. Maximum 12 students.
- snowmobile or snow bike (reliable and appropriate for mountain riding)
- avalanche rescue gear (digital avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe)
- backpack (airbag pack optional)
- appropriate riding gear, extra layers, and food for a full day on the snow
- basic ability to ride off trail in varied terrain and deep snow, or single-track behind a leader in off-trail terrain.
- the appropriate trail sticker or state registration for your machine (or required trail passes for riding area)
- transportation to and from classroom and field locations with your machine
At the end of the AIARE 1 course, the student should be able to:
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify avalanche terrain.
- Effectively use The AIARE Risk Management Framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Demonstrate effective companion rescue.