Motorized AIARE Level 1
Motorized AIARE Level 1 is a 3 day / 24 hour introduction to avalanche hazard management specifically designed for snowmobilers and snow bikers. With a 70/30 field/classroom split, this course emphasizes riding time and teaches the fundamental aspects of the AIARE Risk Management Framework and decision making with respect to backcountry snowmobiling and snow biking in avalanche terrain. Topics covered include avalanche rescue techniques and equipment; preparation, planning, and execution of a backcountry ride based on avalanche conditions; how to track the season's snowpack and interpret an avalanche bulletin; avalanche terrain identification, hazard mitigation and safe travel techniques; weather, snowpack, and stability analysis. This is the essential course for any backcountry snowmobiler and there are no prerequisites.. All participants receive an AIARE 1 certification after completion.
Pre-Registration Required. Maximum 12 students.
Course start is 8 a.m. at the classroom location in the city selected with each day ending around 5pm in the field.
Lodging (if needed) is encouraged to be near course classroom location.
Full details will be sent 7-10 days before course start.
- snowmobile or snow bike (reliable and appropriate for mountain riding)
- avalanche rescue gear (digital avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe)
- backpack (airbag pack optional)
- appropriate riding gear and extra layers for a full day on the snow
- basic ability to ride off trail in varied terrain and deep snow, or single-track behind a leader in off-trail terrain.
- a Wyoming State trails sticker (or required trail passes for riding area)
- transportation to and from classroom and field locations with your machine
At the end of the AIARE 1 course, the student should be able to:
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify avalanche terrain.
- Effectively use The AIARE Risk Management Framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Demonstrate effective companion rescue.